Getting Started Guide
Setting up your RPMWare account is quick and easy. To get started just create an account and follow these 6 simple steps. You'll be accepting orders in no time.
Step 1 - Prepare
The setup process is much smoother if you make some simple decisions before you get started.
- Decide what kind of site you want to build. Maybe it's everything for a particular vehicle, or everything in a particular category, or all the products from your selection of brands.
- Make sure you know where you're going to buy the products you plan to sell and what your cost is.
- Decide what domain(s) you are going to use for your website.
- Make sure you have access to all the "stuff" you'll need to setup your account. This includes things like your logo, sales tax rate, which shipping methods you'll offer, and what payment methods you'll accept.
Step 2 - Choose Which Products to Sell & Set Pricing
Initially you'll be tempted to sell every brand, but resist the urge to do everything and focus on what you know. The shops that have consistently done well with RPMWare generally start with a limited focus and gradually expand what they offer.
- Follow the Choosing What Products to Sell guide.
- If you're adding your own products you'll also want to check out the Adding Your Own Products guide.
- Make sure you set pricing for all the products you're going to sell.
Step 3 - Configure Your Account
The configuration tab contains a variety of options that allow you to change just about everything. During your initial setup pay particular attention to:
- Website Configuration: setup some basic information and enter your domain name(s).
- Payment Methods: setup credit card, PayPal, and offline payment methods.
- Shipping Methods: configure which shipping methods you'll accept.
- Sales Tax: set sales tax options.
Step 4 - Add Featured Products
Featured products display on your homepage and provide great visibility to the parts you select. The Featured Products guide shows you how to set them up.
Step 5 - Design Your Site
Websites for custom cars should be custom. We recommend you have your site designed by a professional who shares your vision. If you can code do it yourself; if not hire a designer, or use one of ours. We offer a variety of design packages to fit any budget and requirement.
Step 6 - Go Live!
Once you're happy with how your site looks it's time to push it live and show it to the world. Our DNS Guide explains how to get your site live on your own domin name. Our email guide is helpful if you haven't already setup
The Real Work Begins
Market, Market, Market Signing up is only half the battle; once your store is setup, configured, designed, and live it's time to hit the streets and get your name out there.
There's a ton of advice available on the internet and we occassionally blog our own. Here's a couple posts from the RPMWare Blog to get you started.
- The 2 Fundamentals of Ecommerce Success — April 20th, 2011 by Kyle West
- 5 Surefire Tips to Boost Your Sales — August 10th, 2010 by Kyle West
- RPMWare's Top Ten Tips for Safe and Smart Ecommerce — August 29th, 2008 by Matt Gold
- Using Shipping as a Promotional Tool – Make it Work for You — October 5th, 2007 by Kyle West
- Top 5 Ways To Boost Performance Parts Sales This Fall — September 28th, 2007 by Matt Gold
We're available to help, bounce ideas off and provide advice. You'll make it, and we'll be here to help every step of the way. Contact us.